Friday, November 29, 2013

Fall

There's a lot to love about fall- football, the leaves, the crispness in the air, pumpkin seeds. The holidays? There are others I prefer.

I think now that I have a kid, I can get into Halloween. Haunted houses and candy are not for me (unless it's dark chocolate- then it can be Halloween 24/7), but I'm excited about coming up with costumes for Leah and decorating with her one day. For her sake, I can learn to enjoy the jack-o-lanterns and witches and ghosts, but her daddy may need to take her trick or treating!

Thanksgiving is another story. When I was younger (now too?) bad things always seemed to happen around Thanksgiving- people died, relationships became broken. Then Thanksgiving was transformed into this magical getaway when, for a long weekend, just the five of us got away. We hiked on rocks near Lake Texoma. We golfed on a fallen leaf-covered golf course. We watched football with the aid of an antennae. We went camping and cooked turkey breast in a foil bag over a campfire (with just a smidge of orange juice to keep it moist because that's what we brought with us).  We had sweet potatoes and marshmallows and green beans. And one year we had to use Ari's diapers as napkins because we forgot those (just like the pilgrims did, right?).

But families grow and families change and families move and with that, the holidays change too. I don't think the crowded thanksgiving dinners are for me (although sweet potatoes with marshmallows are) and I definitely don't need a day set aside to remind me to be thankful. 

I am thankful for my sweet Leah who lights up my bad days. 
I am thankful for my Brian who supports me and laughs with me. 
And I am thankful for the rest of my family who loves me unconditionally. 
I am thankful for my Johnny who keeps me company and stays by my side (literally, he doesn't even let me go to the bathroom alone).
I am thankful for my friends who never let state lines or time zones come between us.
And I am thankful for opportunities- to move to Las Vegas, to learn things, to see things, to do things, to be things. 

Gratitude knows no boundaries, but I think traditions do. It is my hope that Brian and I can create our own holiday traditions that are meaningful to our family. 

Meanwhile, you can find me watching football. 


No comments:

Post a Comment