Sunday, November 10, 2013

Leah's Birth Story

Leah's birth was long and scary and uncomfortable and painful. But it was also awesome and amazing and I never want to forget it. Not how I felt, not even the worst parts. I do my best to remember it here, and to censor it the best I can, although many of the details are already up for debate.

October 9th, 8:00pm
I literally pranced into the hospital. 40 weeks pregnant and as mobile as I could be. Also full of plenty of excitement and nervousness. The plan was to start me on cytotec- medicine that would help me start dilating. I would have another dose every four hours until my body started labor on its own or I was dilated enough for pitocin.

Heading to the hospital
A birthday party? My favorite!
My body had other ideas. The monitors showed that I was already having contractions- intense and long ones at that (some lasting well over 10 minutes!). They couldn't start meds until my body chilled out for fear of stressing the baby, so we waited.

Getting hooked up
11:00pm
I was given a first dose of cytotec, but never any subsequent ones. We know my external monitors were not working super well, but it also appeared that the baby didn't appreciate the eviction notice. I was on and off oxygen throughout the night to maintain the baby's heart rate. 

Talking with Sara
October 10th, 10:00am
At two centimeters dilated I wasn't quite where they preferred me before trying pitocin, but they went ahead and did it anyways. The baby had a similar response as to the cytotec so I was off within the hour. 

2:45pm
After a long day of waiting and "intense" contractions (these are intense? I can totally do this, no problem!), my water broke when the nurse checked to see if I was any more dilated. We had been waiting for the doctor to do this so that I could have the more accurate internal monitors placed, but turns out we didn't need no stinkin' doctor!  They restarted pitocin and with the internal monitors we had a much more accurate reading of the baby's heart rate and the intensity of my contractions. Oh, and those contractions hurt!

Contractions pre-breaking of water

Contractions post-breaking of water

4:30pm
My mom made it to Las Vegas and as I was puking the lining of my empty stomach into a bucket, she came into my room laughing. "I did the same thing when I was in labor with you! <insert chuckles>". Thanks, Mom.

6:15pm
The anesthesiologist was on my floor and I was ready to talk. I had already convinced myself that an epidural would not be possible, but if he wanted to talk to me I was more than willing to listen! Right before the nurse went to get him, her face dropped. Brian and I both noticed, and she points to the monitor readings and asks, "did you see that?" Baby's heart rate dropped rapidly and hopped right back up which, according to our nurse is generally an indicator of reaching 10 centimeters dilated. She checked me, and sure enough... So much for the anesthesiologist!

6:30pm
Totally guessing on the time here, but everything was ready to go. Let the pushing commence!

Because of the timing- shift change at 7:00- the doctor and a room full of nurses were in there from the beginning. It was a pretty steady hour and a half: push, push, push, oxygen on, watch a few seconds of the Detroit/Oakland baseball game, oxygen off, repeat.

8:20pm
Modified discussion-
Dr. S: "Do you want to use a vacuum?"
Me: "Yes. My legs are about to detach from my hips."

8:21pm
"It's a girl!"

Leah Francine was born, blue as a blueberry with her umbilical cord wrapped tightly around her neck. NICU nurses were on call, but thankfully she recovered quickly and passed her second Apgar with flying colors (blue not being one of them).

We are so happy she is here and love her more than the world!




No comments:

Post a Comment