Friday, November 15, 2013

The Thing About Diapers

Here's the thing about diapers...

I have not changed diapers on any regular basis for three years. When I was last in the classroom at SARRC we had two scheduled potty times and of course lots of poopy and super saturated diapers throughout the day. It's no surprise why we worked so hard to potty train everyone! When someone needed a diaper change, they stood in the bathroom, old diaper came off, new diaper was put on (all while creating learning opportunities, of course), and voila! Notes were sent home as needed, "please send diapers/wipes/change of clothes for your child."

Fast forward three years and I think I've lost my diapering touch. I was never the fastest at potty time, but I was fast. Sure there was the occasional poop on my finger or pee on my pants, but I can count on one hand the number of times I actually needed to change my clothes. Ha! Not so true anymore.  I'm not exactly slow at it, but not quite fast enough. Do you know how many loads of laundry I've done because of poop and pee all over the changing pad cover? Not to mention the poop on my clothes (something needs to motivate me to change clothes/get dressed each day, but I could do without it being poop!).

I think the diapers have changed too, although to be honest I never paid much attention to the diapers themselves when I was at SARRC. Did they always have the yellow-turns-blue line when the diaper was wet? It sure does make it easy to see if Leah needs a diaper change, but let me tell you- I feel so guilty it's even a little blue and I don't change her. Problem is, I'm the one refilling the diapers and wipes now so changing her three times during one feeding is ridiculous. Stupid guilt-causing blue line!!

Regardless of the poopy clothes and hundreds of diapers we've already gone through, changing Leah's diaper is one of my favorite parts of our day because she is so alert on her changing table. We have the best "conversations" there and have taken some of my favorite pictures (some of which include poop). She looks so happy and inquisitive and ready to face the day!

Love my girl, poopy diapers and all!


3 comments:

  1. Awww look at those big eyes! I bought some of those cheapy washcloths at Target and put them between Allie and the changing pad during diaper changes. I got tired of washing the changing pad cover. See ya soon-D3

    ReplyDelete
  2. quick tip- when it is a pee diaper place the clean diaper underneath the old. With practice you will be able to pull the old diaper out with one hand, cover with the new diaper using the other hand and then go back in for a quick wipe. I promise you can get it down to 30 seconds or less. :-)

    When dealing with poop- I would often put a paper towel down on top of the changing pad and remove it once I got the poop off of the back and bottom of the tush. Then clean as normal saving you laundry time.

    Last trick- once Leah begins to roll around, try changing her under your leg. She lies horizontal to your leg with her lower half between your legs. That way she can't roll and you won't have to worry about additional messes. (I picked this one up from a Dad who had twins. LOL)

    Good luck! You are a wonderful mom and Leah is very lucky to have you both!
    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete