Sunday, February 2, 2014

Baby Scientist

A couple of months ago someone from the UNLV Auditory Cognition and Development Lab came to speak (aka recruit) at one of our Mommy Mixers.



The lady gave us a few examples of studies they have done and asked for some information if we were interested in participating in upcoming studies.  I thought it was pretty interesting, so even though Leah didn't yet qualify (you had to be three months and she was much younger at the time), I gave them our information... and sure enough as soon as she turned three months they called!

We successfully navigated campus and the building (finding the room in the building was in fact harder than finding the building itself), signed consent forms, and went to get studied.

Leah sat on my lap and they did the whole study on a screen in front of us.  I had to wear headphones with classical music playing so that what she heard was distorted and I wouldn't inadvertently bias her responses (even though I had no idea what they were looking for).  She told me a little bit about the study when we were finished, but I don't know if I'm at liberty to share it.  Leah did really well and I'd be more than happy to participate in other studies that she qualifies for!





No comments:

Post a Comment